Scrolling Banner

Thank you for re-electing me! - - - - - I was elected to be a visionary for our County's future, not a guardian of the status quo. - - - - - I was honored to represent Washington County at a White House Conference in August of 2019. - - - - - I strive to be one of the most approachable County Board Supervisors - - - - - I want to increase cooperation with the City of West Bend, including consolidating services, to free up money in the City budget to help fund road repairs

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

I Oppose a Potential $253 per Year Property Tax Increase

Now that I have your attention, let me tell you what is going on.  National retailers like Walgreens, Shop-Ko, and Menards are all trying to skimp on paying their property taxes, by shifting part of their property tax bill to us.  They are using a legal theory called the Darkstore theory, which bases the property value of profitable stores on the value of vacant stores.

The League of Wisconsin Municipalities estimates that if every national retailer in West Bend is successful in adopting this strategy, the average property tax bill for homeowners like us in West Bend will go up $253.89 per year.

Walgreens has already succeeded in pushing $160,000 in property taxes onto us.  Their 2 West Bend stores were valued at $7.5 million and $6.8 million, but they have succeeded in getting those values reduced to $2.5 million.

Luckily, help is on the way.  County Board Resolution 64, which I proposed, works to support State Legislators from our area, like Senator Duey Stroebel, who are seeking to end the Darkstore Theory.  It mirrors a similar resolution put forward by West Bend Alderman Chris Jenkins.


No comments:

Post a Comment