Scrolling Banner

Thank you for re-electing me! - - - - - I was elected to be a visionary for our County's future, not a guardian of the status quo. - - - - - I was honored to represent Washington County at a White House Conference in August of 2019. - - - - - I strive to be one of the most approachable County Board Supervisors - - - - - I want to increase cooperation with the City of West Bend, including consolidating services, to free up money in the City budget to help fund road repairs

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Today's Board Meeting (Night Meetings, Parks, and the Homeless Shelter)

Today was an action-packed meeting.  Here are some highlights.

Night Meetings---This passed by a vote of 16-9.  The resolution will take effect in May of 2018, when the new board takes office.  One Supervisor, Supervisor Schleif, expressed concern about his own schedule conflict with the new time.  I enjoy working with Supervisor Schlief and hope that he can find away to still serve on the County Board.

I, along with fellow committee members Supervisors Kelling, Otten, and Heidtke, faced an unfair and vindictive accusation from Supervisor Merten, who is still bitter that I held her daughter (County Treasurer Jane Merten) accountable for several severe acts of negligence.  The most recent of these was the mishandling of 4 tax-deed properties where the mortgage-holder was never notified of the tax delinquency.  Supervisor Marilyn Merten's accusation was that we deliberately and strategically tried to push Supervisors out of office by choosing the date and time we did.  A review of the agenda packet for our last meeting will show that we chose the evening with the fewest conflicts.  I will continue to deflect these barbs and as well I will continue to hold County Treasurer Jane Merten accountable for any future acts of gross negligence she engages in.

Homeless Shelter---This was passed, by a vote of 22-3, allowing the homeless shelter to be built on County Land.  The only cost to the County is $10,000 in landscaping, which is very small 1-time cost.  I like the new design of the building, and look forward to seeing Family Promise break ground.

County Parks---This was the tough issue of the day, one we spent almost 2 hours on.  We as a board were considering (and ultimately approved) a conceptual plan for making our parks self-sufficient.  A major component of that plan involves user fees for people who use the park.  Much like the $20 user fee I pay every year so that I can take my dog to Rolf's park, this plan would require park-goers to buy a daily or yearly pass. 

Being one of the newer Supervisors, I petitioned the Supervisors who opposed this plan to show an alternative plan for preserving our parks.  None of the Supervisors who objected to the user fee presented any alternative.  Since I want to preserve our park system, and since there was no other plan presented that would do that, I voted for this plan.

Other key points to the plan:
  1. A few small parks and undeveloped properties were classified as low priority, and will be sold off.
  2. Other revenue options including a beer garden and corporate sponsorship are being looked at.
  3. The major parks in our park system will all be maintained or even improved upon through this plan.





No comments:

Post a Comment