Scrolling Banner

Thank you for re-electing me! - - - - - I was elected to be a visionary for our County's future, not a guardian of the status quo. - - - - - I was honored to represent Washington County at a White House Conference in August of 2019. - - - - - I strive to be one of the most approachable County Board Supervisors - - - - - I want to increase cooperation with the City of West Bend, including consolidating services, to free up money in the City budget to help fund road repairs

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Upcoming Primary Election (My Thoughts)

For the upcoming primary election, I think we all know that we can only vote in the primary for 1 party (but a reminder doesn’t hurt).  I also think all my neighbors know that I’ll be voting in the Republican primary.  I thought I would quickly highlight a few contested races, and how I intend to vote, as some of these races have candidates who are somewhat obscure.  If you are not sure who you are voting for in one of these races, you are welcome to follow my lead.


Secretary of State---While the job itself is powerless and unneeded, somebody is going to occupy the job.  I recommend voting for Jay Schroeder, as he seems to be the serious candidate in this race.  A few years ago Jay ran for Assembly against an incumbent in his district (the 55th), and earned 2,487 votes (35%).


We all remember his opponent, Spencer Zimmerman, who moved up here from Janesville for a month to run for Assembly after the death of Bob Ganon.  He ultimately garnered a total of 37 votes out of 3,217 cast.  As soon as he lost, he was gone, only to resurface a few months later to run in the 42nd Assembly District.  There he again came in last in a Republican primary, though he garnered 81 votes there.  His past history includes never winning a contested race despite running in various races in Wisconsin and Nebraska.  You can see it for yourself in my source material here (link here).  I don’t regard him as a serious candidate.


Treasurer---With 2 good candidates here, I lean towards Travis Hartwig.  This is another powerless job that should be eliminated, but somebody is going to occupy the job.  Hartwig has a stronger background in finances, though both candidates seem like good people.


Senate---I am wholeheartedly endorsing Leah Vukmir, as she is so much more experienced than Kevin Nicholson.  I began endorsing her very early, in January or February of this year.  Leah was elected to the Assembly in 2002, to replace Scott Walker.  In 2010 she defeated an incumbent Democrat to earn a seat in the Wisconsin Senate.  Kevin is a good guy, and I am glad he became a Republican, but U.S. Senator is too big of a post to start your political career in, with rare exception.


Governor---Scott Walker


Congress---Jim Sensenbrenner


Sheriff---This is the toughest pick for me, as both of the individuals running are excellent.  It is for that reason that I have waited so long before deciding who I will vote for.  Jason Guslick has a willingness to speak very frankly about the issues we face, which I appreciate and relate to, and which I believe we often need.  He is strong on 2nd amendment issues and tough on crime.  Marty has the respect of a lot of people who I trust, including several very conservative County Board Supervisors who have served on the Public Safety Committee and worked directly with Marty.  While I will be thrilled to support whoever is elected, and love having 2 great choices for this important office, in 2 weeks I’ll be casting my vote for Marty Shulties.


No comments:

Post a Comment