Scrolling Banner

Thank you for re-electing me! - - - - - I was elected to be a visionary for our County's future, not a guardian of the status quo. - - - - - I was honored to represent Washington County at a White House Conference in August of 2019. - - - - - I strive to be one of the most approachable County Board Supervisors - - - - - I want to increase cooperation with the City of West Bend, including consolidating services, to free up money in the City budget to help fund road repairs

Saturday, March 9, 2019

Today's 5k Run---I came, I saw, I... Survived?







Me, after crossing the finish line
A few months ago, I decided to start work on getting myself into a bit better shape.  I used to run cross country in high school, and decided that running would be a key part of my effort.  Along with that, I signed up for a 5k run (an event that raises money for the Ronald McDonald House), and set a goal for myself: to be able to run the whole distance.


When I started training, I could only run a quarter-mile at a time.  Each time I went to the gym, I pushed myself to run a little bit more each day, (even if I only added a twentieth of a mile).  Over the first month I worked my way up to running 2 miles.


Then my legs started giving me some resistance, with a pulled muscle, and then some ankle issues.  This last week I didn't do any training at all, and was pessimistic about achieving my goal today.

This morning I joined 600 other people at the starting line.  Before the start, I lined up near the back, with the walkers and slower runners.  Once the race started, it took a minute and a half for me to even get to the starting line, as I slowly edged forward behind a throng other runners.


Ultimately, I did run the entire distance.  My time was slow, 34 minutes (when I subtract out the time it took to get to the starting line).  If they don't subtract out that time, then my official time is around 35:28.  I had a lot of moments of doubt, especially during the first two miles.  When I saw the finish line, I regained my old form for the last 1/4 mile.


The came the ride home, when my legs decided to start returning the punishment I had given them.  When I stopped at a convenience store halfway home, my calves were in open revolt and I could barely walk.  A little light stretching got them to loosen up a bit, but I am sure I'll be sore all weekend.  My body now has a lot more wear and tear on it than it did when I was 16.


I am signed up for another one in 2 months, and hopefully can improve on my time.  I don't know that I'll ever get back to my personal best, a 20:08 that I ran when I was 16 (which wasn't really all that fast).  My body has seen a lot of wear and tear since then, so I'd be happy just to get under 25 minutes again someday.


Update---They do deduct the time it takes to get to the starting line, and results are posted.  My official time is 33 minutes, 40 seconds, which works out to a pace of just under 11 minutes per mile.  I was also 15th in my age/gender group.






No comments:

Post a Comment