Scrolling Banner

Thank you for re-electing me! - - - - - I was elected to be a visionary for our County's future, not a guardian of the status quo. - - - - - I was honored to represent Washington County at a White House Conference in August of 2019. - - - - - I strive to be one of the most approachable County Board Supervisors - - - - - I want to increase cooperation with the City of West Bend, including consolidating services, to free up money in the City budget to help fund road repairs

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Too Many Supervisors, Let’s Make the County Board Smaller


Our County Board currently has 26 supervisors.  One of my campaign commitments from 2018 was that I would support reducing the size of the board, and I remain unwavering in that commitment.

During my recent trip to Washington D.C. for the White House conference, I met with several County Board Supervisors and County Commissioners from other counties and states.  One of them had a unique perspective.  She was a Commissioner in Minnesota, and her county had only 5 Commissioners (Supervisors) on its board.  She was also serving on several board within the County, including the library board and the agricultural board, and those boards all had 20-25 members.  She was frustrated with how little those boards got accomplished, and how much the smaller County Board could get accomplished.

This unique perspective confirms, at least in my view, that I am right in my belief that we need to reduce the size of the board.  The strong support I have received from many of my neighbors in district 3 also confirms my belief.

So the next questions are, how much smaller should the board be, and how quickly should it be reduced?

County Board Size
For a County our size, I could see the board being as small as 13-14 supervisors.  I think a smaller board like that could be very effective, while still ensuring adequate representation of the constituents.

Speed for Reducing the County Board
In May of 2018, the idea I proposed to my neighbors in District 3 was to do a series of incremental reductions, starting after the 2020 census.  My idea was to reduce to around 21-22 after the 2020 census, reduce again around 2026, and make a final reduction after the 2030 census.  I know, from previous instances in which this topic came up, that some supervisors favor reducing the board on a more drastic timeframe.  I also know that some supervisors opposing reducing the board.

Ultimately, some compromise is going to need to happen, but I plan to vote for reducing the board.  We simply don't need to have so many supervisors, 26 is far too many.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment