Scrolling Banner

Thank you for re-electing me! - - - - - I was elected to be a visionary for our County's future, not a guardian of the status quo. - - - - - I was honored to represent Washington County at a White House Conference in August of 2019. - - - - - I strive to be one of the most approachable County Board Supervisors - - - - - I want to increase cooperation with the City of West Bend, including consolidating services, to free up money in the City budget to help fund road repairs

Sunday, October 27, 2019

Update: The Miller Park Sales Tax---Fitzgerald & the Senate Have Ended It


When I was campaigning in the spring of 2016 and 2018, I heard time and time again how frustrated people were that we still had the Miller Park sales tax.  When is it going to end?  Will it really end?

This is an issue that is controlled by the state Legislature, so I had no real answer that I could give, other then "I hope the legislature does the right thing."

Hope on the Horizon
And then, in July of 2019, I came to our Monthly County Board meeting to find something unexpected.  I found a brochure laying on my desk, titled "Ending the Miller Park Sales Tax."  This brochure had a schedule for ending the tax, one that culminates on March 10, 2020 with an official end to the tax.  This sounds like great news!

A quick google search turned up a news release that the Assembly had voted, unanimously (by voice vote), to end the Miller Park sales tax.  Thank you to Representatives Rick Gundrum, Janel Brandtjen, Dan Knodl, Robert Brooks, and all of the other 95 representatives for getting this through the Assembly.  This is another example of bipartisanship at work.  Read more about what the Assembly did here: https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2019/06/21/wisconsin-assembly-sets-same-miller-park-tax.html

Stalled Due to Fitzgerald
Before the Governor can sign the bill ending the sales tax, it has to pass the Senate.  With the Assembly passing the bill unanimously in June, this seemed like an easy issue for the Senate to approve.  Unfortunately, for some inexplicable reason, Scott Fitzgerald had delayed the bill, by refusing to put it on the Senate calendar.

It Has Now Passed the Senate
The stall has ended.  Today the Senate voted 33-0 to end the Miller Park sales tax.  We are now one step closer to getting this done.  It now falls to Governor Evers to show that bipartisanship can work by signing this into law and ending this tax.  Thank you Scott Fitzgerald and Duey Stroebel for getting this done!

No comments:

Post a Comment