Scrolling Banner

Thank you for re-electing me! - - - - - I was elected to be a visionary for our County's future, not a guardian of the status quo. - - - - - I was honored to represent Washington County at a White House Conference in August of 2019. - - - - - I strive to be one of the most approachable County Board Supervisors - - - - - I want to increase cooperation with the City of West Bend, including consolidating services, to free up money in the City budget to help fund road repairs

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Campaign Announcement---My 3rd promise to voters---Reducing the Board Size




Back in 2015, the County Board voted to reduce its size from 30 board members to 26.  With the current board structure, we have seen a significant increase in efficiency, but I believe that we are also still too large.  Unfortunately, we are only allowed to adjust the size of the board 1 time between census periods.  Consequently, we cannot reduce the size of you board again until after the 2020 census (probably around 2022)

My 3rd promise to my neighbors in district 3 is that, after the 2020 census, I will support further reductions in the size of the board.  I think a prudent strategy is to be cautious, and reduce to a size of maybe 20-22 members, and long term I could see the County board being reduced to as small as 13-15 members over the next couple of decades.

I am concerned about reducing too much, too quickly.  I have had a few neighbors who believe the County Board should reduce to 5-7 board members.  I worry that too much power in the hands of too few could have undesirable implications.  For example, the West Bend school board has 7 members.  They experience dramatic policy swings whenever 2 or 3 new people come onto the board, only to experience another round of dramatic policy swings in the opposite direction a year or two later.  I worry that a County board that is too small might become similarly inconsistent in its policies, in contrast to the policy consistency that our County Board has generally maintained over the last several decades. 

Because of those concerns, I believe a careful, measured, long-term approach to reducing the size of the County Board will yield the best results in improving efficiency while maintaining consistency in how our County Government is run.



Past Promises:
I will reintroduce resolution to reduce County Board Supervisor pay and end per diems.
http://district3bossert.blogspot.com/2018/02/campaign-announcement-1st-promise-for.html

I will continue to refuse all mileage and per diem payments
http://district3bossert.blogspot.com/2018/02/campaign-announcement-2nd-promise-for.html

No comments:

Post a Comment